Friday, July 15, 2011

Digital or Analog?

Unfortunately, no comic today.  I've been posting some of my old comics and I will be posting some new ones soon.  A big part of the problem is that I have very limited time to produce comics.  Also, I've started to explore producing comics digitally.

A while back I bought the Debut version (read cheap) of Manga Studio.  It's a program designed specifically for making comics of all kinds, not just Manga.  As such, it has some really nice features that make producing comics easy.

I've used Manga Studio in the past, but the results were not that good.  About a month ago, I got an email with a special offer to upgrade to the full version of Manga Studio for 1/3 the price.  So, I took the plunge and decided to give Manga Studio another try.

I work with a Wacom tablet, so all the drawing and inking are done free hand, just like working with regular paper.

One of the things that I really like about working digitally is how easy it is to make changes and corrections.  Also, using layers, I can work a panel one way and if I don't like it, I can redo it without losing the original drawing.  I can also move things around without having to redraw them.  It makes things so much easier.  The drawback is that with so many options and the ability to change things, I find myself tweaking my drawings more than I would if I was working with plain old pencil and paper.  This produces better drawings, but takes longer to produce the roughs.  Also, there is a learning curve with Manga Studio, but I'm getting more efficient.

I think the end product is better, but sometimes I miss paper.

So, today I started a new comic on Bristol board using a good old HB pencil.

I still have some old comics to publish, but look for some new digital work soon along with some old fashioned analog work too, as I experiment.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: