Monday, July 25, 2011

Comic-con - Days 3 & 4

Day three of Comic-con (Saturday), I didn't do as much as on Friday.  I did get to see Adam Hughes do a marker sketch, which was great.  Not only is Adam a great artist, he's very funny.  Great presentation.  Makes me want to run out and buy a bunch of Copic markers, but I'm resisting for now.  Then I went to a panel on marketing indie comics from the standpoint of getting press coverage.  Interesting, but similar to Friday's panel on Indie Marketing.

Then I went and did a total fanboy thing.  I went to the Nikita panel.  It's an pretty good show, but Maggie Q makes it all worth while!

Went back to the hotel and to bed early, because I had to get up at 4AM on Sunday!

Why did I have to get up at 4AM on Sunday?  Well, this year instead of selling next year's tickets in the Convention Center like last year (so easy!), they decided to only sell a limited number of tickets each day at the Hyatt from 8AM to 11AM.  I heard the first day, they sold out right away.  Same thing Friday.  One guy I ran into said he got in line around 5AM and got his ticket, but people who got in line around 6AM didn't.

Damn!

So, I set my alarm for 4AM on Sunday.  Basically, rolled out of bed and onto my Harley and rode on to the Hyatt.  When I got there the line extended out the back and along the waterfront.  It was a surreal experience.  As I walked toward the end of the line, it kept moving further and back.  I heard that the guy at the head of the line was there since 2PM the day before.  Insanity!!!

I later estimated that I was somewhere between the 600th-700th person in line.  Around 6:30-7:00 AM, they let us into Douglas Pavilion.  We were given a card, guaranteeing us some type of ticket, but not four day or preview night.  Once we were inside and in line, we could get up and go to the bathroom and get coffee!  Ah, the simple pleasures.

Once they started selling tickets things went fast.  They started selling at 8AM and I had my ticket by 8:30AM.  That's a lot of people in such a short time.  That's about one ticket every 3 seconds for all you math nerds out there.

That's about all I did on day 4 of Comic-con.  I went back to the hotel, ate breakfast and headed home.

This was my second time at Comic-con and it was a blast.  I'm looking forward to next year!

No comments: